New Karolinska Solna (NKS), a PPP (Public Private Partnership) hospital in Sweden, is a record-breaker in many respects. The new university hospital is:
- Skanska’s largest ever contract.
- The world’s largest PPP hospital.
- Sweden’s first PPP building.
- The first PPP university hospital targeting
LEED Gold certification. NKS will be a completely new, ultra-modern university hospital for both specialized and highly specialized healthcare, research and education.
“Patients first” is the ruling credo. New Karolinska Solna aims to bring a new approach to healthcare. The hospital will be centered on the patients – in their own rooms, on multi-expert, multidisciplinary wards. This is not only comfortable and curative for patients. It also prevents bacteria from spreading.
Single day and single room
Patients will benefit in numerous ways. For example, the ambition is to have a patient see the specialist, be examined and have all necessary tests in a single day. And if admitted, they will have their own rooms, which will be like small wards. Every patient has a private washroom, and every room has its own cleaning equipment:
What’s in the room, stays in the room.
The five new buildings will be between nine and eleven stories high. A research and technology building will be integrated into the hospital complex the laboratories. The entrance will be a brightly lit, three-story indoor plaza that features cafes, restaurants and lounge.
The construction of NKS is one of the largest building construction projects in Europe. At its peak, around 2,000 people will be engaged on site.
The 320,000 sq m scheme was developed in 15 months, from blank canvas to signed agreement – a new world record for PPP projects. Skanska won the project based on its global track record in the PPP and hospital sectors. The Skanska Dream Team comprises the best people from units in Sweden, UK and the US, including experts on health care, hospitals, facilities management, design, estimating, procurement, sustainability, safety, quality, construction and financing.
Skanska is a household name when it comes to construction and development. The company’s banking operations however are less well-known, despite having financed such renowned PPP projects as Barts and the London in the UK, and the Autopista Central highway in Santiago, Chile. NKS is a construction contract worth SEK 14.5 billion – the biggest venture ever for Skanska.
Client: The Stockholm County Council
Project company: Swedish Hospital Partners (Skanska and Innisfree) Builder: Skanska
Construction contract: SEK 14.5 billion
No. of people involved in construction: approx. 2,000
Completion date: In phases 2016–2017
Area: 320,000 sqm
Rooms: approx. 7,000
Beds, inpatient care: 600, plus a 100-bed patient hotel
Operating rooms: 36
Radiation rooms: 8
Reception rooms: approx. 180
Learn more at: www.skanska.com/newkarolinskasolna
01. “The Patient First” is the mantra for the New Karolinska Solna, inspired by leading university hospitals like the Erasmus Medical Center, Johns Hopkins, and the Mayo Clinic. The essence of this thinking is that every patient should be assessed and treated without being moved or having to wait long.
02. The New Karolinska Solna Hospital is one of Europe’s largest construction projects and a multiple record-breaker for Skanska.
03. Single-patient rooms The design of the New Karolinska Solna Hospital is based on research into reducing the spread of infection and promoting rapid recovery. Single-patient rooms with en-suite washrooms, and separate toilets and cleaning facilities can reduce incidence of both methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and the vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus species (VRE). What’s in the room stays in the room.